Fun Shakespearean Trivia:
- Shakespeare was only 18 when he married Anne Hathaway. His wife was 8 years older.
None, women were not allowed to be actors in Elizabethan times. In his plays women would have been played by young boys in makeup and dresses.
- He famously left her his ‘second best’ bed.
- We don’t know! Shakespeare may have published many more plays that the 37 we are familiar with, plays were never written down and instead the actors would learn the lines from quickly written line sheets, ink still wet from Shakespeare’s quill.
- Hamlet in Hamlet. In his famous speech Hamlet questions himself amid his grief for his father and anger at his mother.
- Lady Macbeth in Macbeth. One of Shakespeare’s best female characters, Lady Macbeth’s famous soliloquy foreshadows her tragic end.
- Orsino in Twelfth Night. The opening line of the play, Orsino asks for better luck after being rejected by his love Countess Olivia.
- ‘In a pickle’, ‘lacklustre’, ‘one fell swoop’, ‘wild goose chase’, ‘seen better days’, ‘good riddance’, ‘you’ve got to be cruel to be kind’, ‘love is blind’, ‘be all and end all’, ‘break the ice’ and ‘knock, knock, who’s there’ are all Shakespearean terms.
- Honorificabilitudinitatibus is from the play Love’s Labour Lost and means“invincible glorious honorableness”.
Did you like our quiz ? Make sure to sign up to our newsletter for more fun activities, news and fun things to do!